Monday, February 14, 2022

Post No. 114: For Valentine's Day, Part 3 — For Linda Ronstadt: 'Round Midnight


(Image from AllMusic)

'Round Midnight

What's New, My Old Flame? Little Girl Blue, It Never Entered My Mind, I would be Falling In Love Again! But You Took Advantage Of Me, Sophisticated Lady. The Lush Life is Mean To Me, since You Go To My Head just 'Round Midnight. For, When Your Lover Has Gone, Goodbye is all you have! Am I Blue? I Get Along Without You Very Well, My Funny Valentine, but (I Love You) For Sentimental Reasons. So, I'm A Fool To Want You! For, When I Fall In Love, I want Someone To Watch Over Me. And that is why I've Got A Crush On You! For, When You Wish Upon A Star, you are just so Bewitched, Bothered And Bewildered. But I Don't Stand A Ghost Of A Chance With You... So, Can't We Be Friends? You say, "Crazy He Calls Me," But Not For Me! You say, "Lover Man (Oh Where Can You Be)?," But Not For Me! And then you say, "Skylark, Straighten Up And Fly Right!" What'll I Do? Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out To Dry...

-Paul Whiting
(a.k.a., A Creative Writer)
"I maybe say too much about how life really is!"

My Writing Notes:

The reason that I wrote this poem can be summed up with the following statement: This poem is an homage to Linda Ronstadt's compilation album of her first three albums of standard songs titled, "'Round Midnight." ("In music, a standard is a musical composition of established popularity, considered part of the 'standard repertoire' of one or several genres.") Ms. Ronstadt's first three albums of standard songs were titled, "What's New," "Lush Life" and "For Sentimental Reasons," respectively. And in this poem, I used each title of every song from the compilation album "'Round Midnight" as a part of the poem! (Please see the hyperlink below for the videos.)

By the way, this poem is one of three poems that I have written for Linda Ronstadt on my blogs. One poem is based upon her last album of standard songs titled, "Hummin' To Myself." The other poem is based upon all of the songs from Ms. Ronstadt's standard albums which include the words 'fool, foolish or fooled,' in the song—for April Fools' Day! Both poems are published on this blog. (Please see "Singer Linda Ronstadt-Inspired Poem" in labels for the poems.)

And this poem was also published on my "Small All White in the Forest" blog (please see the hyperlink below for the blog), since I feel that the message in this poem applies to the message that I am trying to convey through "Small All White in the Forest."

This poem was written in Portland, Oregon.

-Paulee

https://smallallwhiteintheforest.blogspot.com

Track Listing for "'Round Midnight" by Linda Ronstadt:

1. What's New?
2. I've Got a Crush on You
3. Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out to Dry
4. Crazy He Calls Me
5. Someone to Watch Over Me
6. I Don't Stand a Ghost of a Chance with You
7. What'll I Do
8. Lover Man (Oh Where Can You Be?)
9. Goodbye
10. When I Fall in Love
11. Skylark
12. It Never Entered My Mind
13. Mean to Me
14. When Your Lover Has Gone
15. I'm a Fool to Want You
16. You Took Advantage of Me
17. Sophisticated Lady
18. Can't We Be Friends?
19. My Old Flame
20. Falling in Love Again
21. Lush Life
22. When You Wish Upon a Star
23. Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered
24. You Go to My Head
25. But Not for Me
26. My Funny Valentine
27. I Get Along Without You Very Well
28. Am I Blue?
29. (I Love You) For Sentimental Reasons
30. Straighten Up and Fly Right
31. Little Girl Blue
32. 'Round Midnight

Watch "Linda Ronstadt and The Nelson Riddle Orchestra" on YouTube:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoDH1jJDcQEQPeTVsuoAz1UbN84LVs4pC

This "Paul Whiting — A Creative Writer" Post No. 114 was edited on December 8th, 2022.

"Poetry is using the fewest words possible in order to describe all that is possible to describe." –Paul Whiting [June 1st, 2022]