Thursday, November 24, 2022

Post No. 326: For Thanksgiving Day, Part 2 — "I Am So Very Thankful..."


(Image by Paul Whiting)

The Land Of The Free And
The Home Of The Brave!
(Or, "I Am So Very Thankful...")

I Am So Very Grateful
To Live In "The Land
Of The Free And The
Home Of The Brave!"

I Am So Very Willing
To Give In "The Land
Of The Free And The
Home Of The Brave!"

I Am So Very Aware
That I Have A Choice
In "The Land Of
The Free And The
Home Of The Brave!"

I Am So Very Thankful
That I Have A Voice
In "The Land Of
The Free And The
Home Of The Brave!"

-Paul Whiting
(a.k.a., A Creative Writer)
"I maybe say too much about how life really is!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------

My Writing About Thanksgiving (for 2012): I am so very grateful to live in "The Land Of The Free And The Home Of The Brave!" –Paul Whiting (written November 22nd, 2012 and revised November 24th, 2022)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

My Writing About Thanksgiving (for 2022): I am so very thankful that I have a voice in "The Land Of The Free And The Home Of The Brave!" –Paul Whiting (written on November 14, 2012 and turned into 'my writing' on November 24th, 2022)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

My Writing Notes:

The reason that I wrote this poem can be summed up with the following statement: "I am so very thankful to live in 'The Land Of The Free And The Home Of The Brave!'"

And this poem is based upon a quote from "My Posting Sabbatical, Part 2" that was originally published on my "Small All White in the Forest" and "Poet, Artist and Philosopher" blogs (please see the hyperlinks below for the blogs), since I decided to publish some of "My Posting Sabbatical Writing" as blog posts when I republished my old blog posts on my new "Paul Whiting — A Creative Writer" blog, which I created in order to have "a place to place all of my best writing in one place!"

And this poem was only published on my "Paul Whiting — A Creative Writer" blog.

This poem was written in Portland, Oregon.

-Paulee

P.S.: This poem was inspired by a quote that I originally wrote on November 22nd, 2012—and it was turned into a poem on November 14th, 2022.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

November 17th, 2022 Update: Thanksgiving Day is seven days away from today, November 17th, 2022, and I made a one-time donation to the USO (United Service Organizations) on the USO.org website, because I received a text message today from the USO, which stated the following:

USO: Help us send Thanksgiving meals to troops deployed far from home. Rush a MATCHED donation before tomorrow's deadline:***

***[I used to include hyperlinks contained within the email messages, or the text messages, to which I am referring in these "Activism Updates"; however, I could not figure out how to include the aforementioned hyperlinks, regarding some relevant action that I had taken—such as signing a petition, sending a letter or message to my representative(s) in Congress, signing a USO 'Thank You' card, and/or making a donation—without including my personal information.]

In addition to that, I already make a recurring monthly donation to the USO in order to show my support for our U.S. Military Personnel! You see, I usually make one-time donations to the USO each month—as often as I can manage when they request a donation via email or text message. Therefore, I am planning to continue making one-time donations to the USO in the future, as often as I can manage to make donations, in addition to making the aforementioned recurring monthly donation.

By the way, did you know that the USO is a not-for-profit organization and not part of the Department of Defense (DoD)? The following description of the USO is from their 'About Us' webpage:

"The USO is not part of the federal government. A congressionally chartered, private organization, the USO relies on the generosity of individuals, organizations and corporations to support its activities, and is powered by a family of volunteers to accomplish our mission of connection."

So, that is why I 'volunteer financially' as a member of the "USO Home Team" through a recurring monthly donation, as well as through one-time donations to the USO each month!

–Paul Whiting (written November 17th, 2022, revised November 18th, 2022, revised November 24th, 2022, revised December 18th, 2022, revised December 29th, 2022, revised April 21st, 2023, revised April 27th, 2023, revised April 28th, 2023, revised May 17th, 2023, revised June 2nd, 2023, revised July 29th, 2023, revised September 27th, 2023 and revised November 18th, 2023)

[I feel like I need to clarify why there are so many 'revised dates' on this 'update,' just like there are often times so many 'revised dates' on other 'updates' similar to this one! You see, I really try to keep my writing consistent as possible across all of my blogs. Therefore, as I am writing, I try to use the same phraseology wherever possible with regard to similar types of my writing so that, when I am editing my writing, I can change all of the similar writing at the same time and in the same way! Thus, a lot of the revisions indicated above, after my name (–Paul Whiting), and shown right after the original 'written date,' are often times due to these aforementioned consistent-writing revisions.]

-------------------------------------------------------------------

November 24th, 2022 Update: Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! I signed a Thanksgiving card "to let our troops know how much [I] appreciate their service and sacrifice this Thanksgiving," from the USO (United Service Organizations) today, November 24th, 2022, that I received via an email with the subject line, "We’re immensely grateful for you, Paul", which stated the following:

This Thanksgiving comes at the end of a particularly challenging year for our service members. They’ve deployed around the world, often at a moment's notice, to protect and serve our country — from supporting NATO allies in Eastern Europe to conducting civilian rescue operations in the wake of Hurricane Ian.

But through it all, you’ve been there for our heroes and their families at every turn. And on behalf of everyone here at the USO, I want to say thank you. We are so grateful for the support of this community.

Today is Thanksgiving, but around the world, thousands of service members are spending the holiday far away from their homes and loved ones in the face of the ongoing war in Ukraine. They are facing isolation, uncertainty and harsh weather conditions — all while leaning on the USO for support in the absence of their loved ones.

That’s why your dedicated support is especially meaningful right now. It’s what helps ensure that we can keep service members equipped with the essential resources and connections to home that they deserve, especially on days like today...

...Supporters like you are truly the force behind our Armed Forces, and we could never thank you enough. From me and our entire USO family, we send the warmest wishes to you and your loved ones this Thanksgiving.

[Name redacted]
[Title redacted], USO

P.S. If you haven’t had the chance yet to let our troops know how much you appreciate their service and sacrifice this Thanksgiving, I hope you’ll take a moment now to sign the USO’s card. It is a small act that means so much.***

***[I used to include hyperlinks contained within the email messages, or the text messages, to which I am referring in these "Activism Updates"; however, I could not figure out how to include the aforementioned hyperlinks, regarding some relevant action that I had taken—such as signing a petition, sending a letter or message to my representative(s) in Congress, signing a USO 'Thank You' card, and/or making a donation—without including my personal information.]

Plus, after I signed the card, I made a one-time donation on the USO.org website to say to our troops, "We are so grateful for you — especially today! Thank you for everything you do to defend our country. We hope you have a very happy Thanksgiving."

In addition to that, I already make a recurring monthly donation to the USO in order to show my support for our U.S. Military Personnel! You see, I usually make one-time donations to the USO each month—as often as I can manage when they request a donation via email or text message. Therefore, I am planning to continue making one-time donations to the USO in the future, as often as I can manage to make donations, in addition to making the aforementioned recurring monthly donation.

By the way, did you know that the USO is a not-for-profit organization and not part of the Department of Defense (DoD)? The following description of the USO is from their 'About Us' webpage:

"The USO is not part of the federal government. A congressionally chartered, private organization, the USO relies on the generosity of individuals, organizations and corporations to support its activities, and is powered by a family of volunteers to accomplish our mission of connection."

So, that is why I 'volunteer financially' as a member of the "USO Home Team" through a recurring monthly donation, as well as through one-time donations to the USO each month!

–Paul Whiting (written November 24th, 2022, revised December 18th, 2022, revised December 29th, 2022, revised January 1st, 2023, revised April 9th, 2023, revised April 21st, 2023, revised April 27th, 2023, revised April 28th, 2023, revised May 17th, 2023, revised July 29th, 2023, revised September 27th, 2023 and revised November 18th, 2023)

[I feel like I need to clarify why there are so many 'revised dates' on this 'update,' just like there are often times so many 'revised dates' on other 'updates' similar to this one! You see, I really try to keep my writing consistent as possible across all of my blogs. Therefore, as I am writing, I try to use the same phraseology wherever possible with regard to similar types of my writing so that, when I am editing my writing, I can change all of the similar writing at the same time and in the same way! Thus, a lot of the revisions indicated above, after my name (–Paul Whiting), and shown right after the original 'written date,' are often times due to these aforementioned consistent-writing revisions.]

-------------------------------------------------------------------

October 24th, 2023 Update No. 7 [My Writing About How I Have Changed The Way That I Label My Blog Posts 'Updates' For Any Additional 'Updates' That I Write, After The First 'Update,' By Using A Simple Numbering System, Which Starts With The First 'Update' (Originally From My Blog Post Titled, "I Am No Longer Being An Activist In The Same Way That I Was," Which Is On My "Poet, Artist and Philosopher" Blog)]:

I have changed the way I label the blog post 'updates' that I write because I oftentimes write more than one 'update' per day!

And in the past, I have labeled the second, third, fourth and fifth 'update' with the following extensions—on the days that I write more than 'update'—to differentiate any additional 'updates' from the first one, as follows:

[1st] Month Day, Year Update
[2nd] Month Day, Year Update—Continued
[3rd] Month Day, Year Update—Continued Further
[4th] Month Day, Year Update—Continued Further Some More
[5th] Month Day, Year Update—Continued Further Some More Than Before

However today, October 24th, 2023, I actually had more than five 'updates' to write, so I decided to change how I differentiate any additional 'updates,' from the first 'update,' by using a simple numbering system, which actually starts with the first 'update' that I write, as follows:

Month Day, Year Update No. 1
Month Day, Year Update No. 2
Month Day, Year Update No. 3
Month Day, Year Update No. 4
Month Day, Year Update No. 5
Month Day, Year Update No. 6
Month Day, Year Update No. 7

Therefore, that is why this 'update' is the seventh one for today! –Paul Whiting (written October 24th, 2023 and revised October 28th, 2023)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

November 23rd, 2023 Update No. 1: Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! In celebration of Thanksgiving Day, I made a one-time donation to the USO (United Service Organizations) after I read a really interesting article today, November 23rd, 2023, on the USO website titled, "President Biden, Dr. Biden and the USO Share 'Friendsgiving' Dinner with Service Members and Their Families at Naval Station Norfolk." An extended introduction to the article can be found below, along with additional information from the USO webpage containing the aforementioned article:

USO Home / Stories

Monday, Nov 20, 2023

President Biden, Dr. Biden and the USO Share 'Friendsgiving' Dinner with Service Members and Their Families at Naval Station Norfolk

By Barry Morris

The smells of a freshly baked apple pie straight out of the oven and turkey with all the fixings are fragrances synonymous with the Thanksgiving holiday, a unique time of year when the phrase “comforts of home” means something very different to America’s service members and their families.

For many service members and their families, a trip home this year may not be possible, as they are either forward deployed serving in another country or can’t make it home to their loved ones due to assigned duties, personal circumstances, or other reasons.

In the spirit of the Thanksgiving holiday tradition - and the USO’s commitment to supporting the people who serve in the U.S. military, including military families - the USO was honored to support President Joseph R. Biden Jr. and First Lady Dr. Jill Biden as they joined forces with renowned celebrity chef and USO Entertainment Tour Veteran Chef Robert Irvine to serve up a tasty “Friendsgiving” meal to over 400 family members of the USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN 78) and USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN 69) sailors, as well as single sailors and Marine families assigned to units on Naval Station Norfolk, Virginia, and the surrounding area, on the evening of Nov. 19, 2023.

“Events like this evening are at the heart and soul of what the USO is all about,” said Kenneth Miller, Senior Center Operations and Programs Manager for the USO Mid-Atlantic area. “Throughout the holidays, the USO is there to connect families across the globe and throughout the Mid-Atlantic area.“

“Our USO Holidays programming and this evening’s Thanksgiving meal with our president, and Dr. Biden, is truly impactful and brings the local military community together as one big family,” Kenneth continued. “Especially as two Naval Carrier Strike Groups, whose home port is right here at Norfolk, are currently deployed in the Middle East and their families are back home keeping them in their thoughts and prayers.”

The event was part of the White House’s Joining Forces initiative, where Dr. Biden has made military families a major focal point of her time in the White House, both now and when her husband served as vice president. In addition to serving as our Commander in Chief, under the terms of our bylaws and congressional charter, President Biden is also Honorary Chairman of the USO’s Board of Governors.

Joining Forces is a White House initiative to support military families, which includes families of service members and veterans, caregivers and survivors, and it’s why the president and Dr. Biden join our military year after year for Friendsgiving.

“Thank you to the Robert Irvine Foundation and the USO, for making this possible,” said Dr. Biden. “We help to wrap yourselves in the love and community that surrounds you – because family is more than parents and partners, it’s the people in this room – the bonds we forge and the families we create together.” ...

[Please see the hyperlink below for the article: https://www.uso.org/stories/3648-president-biden-dr-biden-and-the-uso-share-friendsgiving-dinner-with-service-members-and-their-families-at-naval-station-norfolk]

... Every day, America’s service members selflessly put their lives on the line to keep us safe and free. Please take a moment to let our troops know how much we appreciate their service and sacrifice.

GIVE TODAY

https://secure.uso.org/?sc=WW18STRYINL

MORE FROM THE USO

Nov 21, 2023

Is the USO a Nonprofit? Yes!

At the USO, we talk a lot about the people who serve in the U.S. Armed Forces because they are the ones in need of support, and they are the ones who deserve the spotlight. However, we sometimes don’t talk enough about who we are as an organization, and whether or not the USO is a nonprofit. Yes - the USO is, in fact, a nonprofit, non-government organization and we rely on generous donors like you to fuel our support of the nation’s military.

https://www.uso.org/stories/2405-is-the-uso-a-nonprofit

And, after I read the article above, I clicked on the hyperlink to the referenced webpage, regarding donating to the USO, the relevant text of which can be found below:

Support America's Service Members!

For more than 80 years, the USO has stood by America's military service members by keeping them connected to family, home and country. But we're not a government agency, and rely on individual supporters like you to fund the programs that make the biggest difference for our service members.

Donate today so we can continue to provide individualized support to our service members every day.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

[  ] $35

[  ] $50

[  ] $100

[  ] $250

[  ] $500

[  ] $1,000

[  ] $1,500

[✓] $25.00

[  ] Make this a monthly donation.

[Blogger's Note: I already make a monthly donation to the USO of $10.00!]

You're donating $25

First Name: Paul
Last Name: Whiting
Address: [redacted]
City: [redacted]
State: [redacted]
Zip: [redacted]
Email: [redacted]
Cell Phone (optional): [redacted]

---------------------------------------------

THANK YOU FOR YOUR DONATION TO THE USO

DATE

November 23, 2023

REFERENCE #

[Reference number redacted]

CONTRIBUTION

$25.00

PERSONAL INFORMATION

Paul Whiting
[Email redacted]

BILLING ADDRESS

[Street Address and Apt. No. redacted]
[City, State and ZIP Code redacted]

By choosing to step up today, you’ve shown our brave men and women in uniform and their families that you honor their service and sacrifice -- whether they’re serving our country long miles from loved ones or healing with honor here at home.

Your support will have a direct and immediate impact in their lives, providing care packages to the frontlines, free phone calls home, immediate support for wounded warriors, and so much more. We can’t thank you enough.

SHARE WITH YOUR FRIENDS

Let your friends know you support the USO

Share on Facebook

Email Your Friends

So, I selected the "Email Your Friends" option in order for me to provide you, my readers, with the email and hyperlink below:

Subject line: Always at their side

Hey--

Did you know the USO does far more for our troops than entertainment tours?

On any given day, the USO is delivering care packages to remote bases around the world, helping wounded warriors heal with honor, lifting the spirits of our troops and their loved ones through free phone calls home, and so much more.

These brave men and women have done more for us than we can ever repay. Will you join me in giving just a little back for them?

Here’s the link: https://secure.uso.org/?sc=WS13ESHARE

For our troops!

Thus, I made a one-time donation to the USO in order to say HAPPY THANKSGIVING, and THANK YOU, to all of the U.S. Military Personnel worldwide!

By the way, did you know that the USO is a not-for-profit organization and not part of the Department of Defense (DoD)? The following description of the USO is from their 'About Us' webpage:

"The USO is not part of the federal government. A congressionally chartered, private organization, the USO relies on the generosity of individuals, organizations and corporations to support its activities, and is powered by a family of volunteers to accomplish our mission of connection."

So, that is why I 'volunteer financially' as a member of the "USO Home Team" through a recurring monthly donation, as well as through one-time donations to the USO each month!

–Paul Whiting (written November 23rd, 2023 and revised November 24th, 2023)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

This "Paul Whiting — A Creative Writer" Post No. 326 was edited on November 24th, 2023.

"Poetry is using the fewest words possible in order to describe all that is possible to describe." –Paul Whiting [June 1st, 2022]