Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Post No. 046: For My Family, Part 4 — Upon Your Half Century


(Image from Barnes & Noble)

Upon Your Half Century

Warmed by the vanilla light
of your favorite
lamp,
you sit
submerged into the world
of another
renowned personality,
or distant country,
or nearly forgotten
civilization.

How impassioned you are
to absorb
all knowledge!
If only all
those books could be read
intravenously,
or via osmosis,
or even digestively
as that magazine
so erroneously suggests.

But, alas,
until Radio Shack can install
a "Ronco Read-O-Matic"
discretely
upon your person,
you will
have to be
content spending
the second half of
your century under that
Itty Bitty Book Lite,
where age may
mistake you
for a timeless scholar.

-Paul Whiting
(a.k.a., A Creative Writer)
"I maybe say too much about how life really is!"

My Writing Notes:

The reason that I wrote this poem can be summed up with the following statement: I wrote this poem for my mother's 50th birthday!

You see, my mother, who passed away in 2004, was an avid reader. And she would spend hours reading newspapers, magazines and books by the light of her Itty Bitty Book Light! And her favorite reading material, specifically, was biographies and autobiographies. Plus, reading helped my mother to escape the stress of life because she dealt with a lot of physical and psychological health issues her entire life.

So, her scholarly side is what inspired this poem!

And this poem was also published on my "Small All White in the Forest" blog (please see the hyperlink below for the blog), since I feel that the message in this poem applies to the message that I am trying to convey through "Small All White in the Forest."

This poem was written in Salt Lake City, Utah.

-Paulee

https://smallallwhiteintheforest.blogspot.com

This "Paul Whiting — A Creative Writer" Post No. 046 was edited on February 10th, 2024.

"Poetry is using the fewest words possible in order to describe all that is possible to describe." –Paul Whiting [June 1st, 2022]